Wednesday, June 9, 2021

From the Dime Box

 Who doesn't have a good dime box story?  For a lot of us bloggers, they can be stuff of legend.  I've heard of some pretty amazing dime box finds, and have had quite a few myself!

This is a different kind of dime box gold story.  It involves a trade I made recently with Nick of the awesome blog Dime Boxes: The Low End Baseball Card Collector's Journey.  As you know, (because Nick is rightly famous) or if you don't know, you can tell from his blog name, Nick is a dime box fan. Since I am too, we decided to throw some cards each others way.  

I honestly can't really remember what I sent to Nick.  I have sent a number of packages out recently and they are all blurring together in my head.  It was stuff off of his wantlists, hopefully stuff he could use.  I say hopefully for two reasons.  1.) I absolutely hate for a trade partner to feel bad about a trade.  And 2.) He sent me some pretty great stuff!!  

Check it out...

First up are two of the seemingly endless parade of Mark McGwire's in the recent Topps products.  Hard to believe that in 2011 only 5 McGwire cards were made (according to TCDB).  In 2012, only 8.  In 2020 a whopping 811!  Anyway, I will take them!



Then Nick started peppering me with inserts of some of today's hottest young stars:
What's that, the young star in the lower left isn't so young anymore?  Well, maybe not, but he sure is young there.  That card is from SCD Price Guide from back in 1989.  Phenomenal card!


Here's another one I wanted to spotlight.  My two favorite Angels of all time on one card?  Old guy in sepia, Rod Carew...

And new guy in full color, Mikey Trout!  Both of these guys made my list in the A-Z player challenge.

Nick just kept on going, helping my tiny collection of the current hot Rookies and young bucks.
That Tucker is pretty shiny!

And here's where things went off the rails.  I have bemoaned my lack of RCs from the 2010s several times on this blog.  I just don't buy packs, so the only 'hot' RCs I pick up are after they are no longer hot, and I find them in dime boxes. I also, in my most recent post, mentioned that I was probably too late to get in on Vlad Jr RCs!  Nick took laser aim at those problems and obliterated them!!

Check these beauties
Cool action shot on the Baez RC!  Everyone is still talking about his recent heads up baserunning play.


Here's Vladdy!!  I guess its never too late when the blogger community is involved.  Happy to have this card!


Woah!  This one knocked me off my chair, so totally unexpected.  I've liked Arenado for a while now.  I love strong defensive 3B, and his offense is not shabby either.


And the hits keep coming!  My first Acuna RC, very happy to have one.  Kids a beast.



And then the last 2 cards.  Nick had mentioned in an email that he had a Mookie Betts RC that he was sending, which I thought was EXTREMELY nice of him.  So I was expecting one with some sense of glee.  But what I did not expect was this:


Two Betts RCs!!!  Wow!  Beautiful cards of one of the games best.  I really love having RCs of all the studs that make up the history of the game.  And Betts has solidified his position as one of them.  Thanks so much Nick, these were very, very appreciated.  Go Dime Boxes!

7 comments:

  1. That's quite the haul.

    Acuna RC wins the round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Nick reads this... I'm kind of bummed that I missed out on getting a cheap Hank Aaron rookie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome! The photo variations you sent were more than enough of a return for me! As I told you, I've had most of those rookies sitting around in boxes for a while now - I'm just happy to find 'em a good home. Plus I think I pulled about three or four copies of that Vlad Jr. rookie from the packs of 2019 Update I opened - one of the rare times where collation issues actually had a plus side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza. Awesome stuff. Don't see a Betts Topps rookie card in care package posts very often. That thing... along with the other big name rookie cards deserves one more... wowza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was quite a hard-hitting return package!

    ReplyDelete