Monday, April 17, 2023

Only the cheap boxes for me - almost

 Well the previous card show was epic, read here if you missed it.  Unfortunately, this latest one was not quite so big for me, but I did find a lot of cards in the cheap boxes, some of which had me scratching my head.

First up, here are a few of my favorites from quarter boxes:


1. The Freeman turned out to be a dupe for me, but I still like it. 
2. The Robert is really great for a quarter.  He's off to a nice start this year too.
3. The Soto is just cool.
4. Here's the first big score!  Hall of Fame RC of Trevor Hoffman in a quarter box.  Woohoo!
5. I have been really wanting this Guerrero.  The pic is awesome.  I'm not so big on Opening Day though. Now I want the regular Topps and Chrome versions of this!
6. Don't know why I like the Brett, I just do.
7. Another big find!  This Greinke really cements my early Greinke collection!
8. Red White and Blue Ohtani Prizm??  Don't see those in cheap boxes much...
9. And a relic of a HOFer.  Great find.


Next up, I have always really liked the old Gold Refractors.  But you don't find them often, and even less often for cheap.  These two made me happy.


Now a quick break from baseball.  These football cards were all quarters too!
Other than maybe the Marino, I was kinda stunned to see any of these in a quarter box!  I think my favorite is the Warner jersey.  I don't have much Warner.  Need a RC of his.


Back to baseball!  The boxes at my local show often have good selection of youngsters.  You have to really dig, but I took the time this show, and came away with quite a stack of guys who are possibly on the up and up.  Here's a few of the hottest:


I hit almost all the guys you hear about, with one notable exception.  Corbin Carroll, the Diamondbacks young stud was nowhere to be found.  But realizing that jogged my memory.  I just KNEW I had a Carroll somewhere from a show long ago.  So I went digging, and what do you know.


This card is actually clean, my scanner seemed to pick up some dust.  And you probably can't see it, but in the upper left, stamped over the DIA in Diamondbacks, there is a serial number.  #/25!!  I hope he continues to impress, I might have to unload this card someday.

And lastly, I spent a little money (more than $1 is 'money' to me) on a card for the second straight show.  Certainly not a quarter box card.  I've been enamored with the Orioles young talent, Ryan Mountcastle, Grayson Rodriguez, Gunnar Henderson and especially Adley Rutchman.  He seems like a quality player.  So I negotiated for a while, and got the price on this card down to $15:



I don't know if I will regret this purchase or not, but for now I am quite happy with it.  I dislike graded cards in general, but...  whatever.  In fact, this is only the 13th graded card in my collection.  I plan on doing posts soon on both my graded cards and my slowly growing prospecting hoard.  Look forward to that!

11 comments:

  1. Nice cards! I wonder how many of those youngsters are gonna be great someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to be digging in that quarter box, that Chipper that I don't have would have sent me through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were some great cards you got. I would’ve pulled the trigger on a number of them if they were 2 buck cards. I would love to know what that Hoffman goes for because if you were the flipping type I wouldn’t be surprised if you got less than 10 bucks for it, more if you graded it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Marino is the only one from that football group that I would've grabbed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have much interest in the young upstarts -- in fact, I welcome everyone digging in the discount boxes to take all the 'hot' whoevers and leave the rest for me. ... But that Hoffman is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, a Hall of Fame relic for a quarter! I can remember when I used to see them at 3 for $5, and at least once I've gotten one for a dime, but I don't know that I've ever seen ANY relic for a quarter, let alone Chipper Jones. (Maybe one of those Stars And Stripes relics of some teenager who's never going to make even the minors, but even then, I wonder. I know I'd take any Mets relic for a quarter, even if it's some long-out-of-the-system prospect.)

    Here I was all happy I found a rainbow foil deGrom parallel in a dime box yesterday. And some other good stuff, including a bunch of '70s SSPC, but, still, you beat me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking cards, both football and baseball, from quarter boxes. Sometimes a card will just jump out to someone and say it needs to be in your collection. I have an album started of cards like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice quarter bin finds. Love that Hoffman and Chipper especially. And I would have taken the risk on that Adley for that price.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finds! That Vlad is a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Great snags! Love the Marino and of course the Daniel Jones. We may have to discuss a pwe trade :)

    ReplyDelete