Saturday, March 9, 2024

Unpacking finds

 Unpacking all my cards and slowly reorganizing them has been kind of fun.  I've poked my nose in corners of my collections that I haven't been in for a while.  I have found cards I thought I had lost, and cards that I don't really need.  I am sure anyone who has collected knows those feelings.

***Skip this part if you just want to see the cards, just scroll down to the break!!!

The reason I have had to do all that packing and organizing is that I sold my house, and moved into an apartment.  For the last 2 1/2 years, my wife and I have been slowly figuring out how to divorce.  The two huge factors that made it hard for us (and made it take so long) were the kids and money.

The kids are an obvious trouble spot.  But I have three pretty great kids.  I have worked really hard to create good relationships with them and to help them be strong human beings.  Two of them are out of the house and on their own, and the youngest is about to turn 17.  They are all doing well, almost shockingly well, with the situation.  We worked hard to help them through it.  I am as happy as I can be with that.

Money is a different story.  I don't make a bad wage, but I am nowhere near wealthy.  Alimony is going to hurt a lot.  Also, over the years, my wife has insisted on several huge financial decisions in our life that cost us huge amounts of money.  These were decisions I disagreed with, but wasn't ready at the time to walk out over.  She also pushed, over the years, to keep too much of our paychecks for today, and not nearly enough for retirement.  So not only will I be living tight from now on, but I don't see a path to a real retirement.

All of those issues are due to my own decision making though, I will own up to the decisions I made, and deal with their consequences.  If you are still young, make good decisions!!  And that's all I hope to write about that!

*******************************************************************

*******************************************************************

So one of the cards I recently found, that I had thought was lost, is a Broder.  Yes, Broders are not the most sought after cards out there, but they are not bad.  But this one always gave me a kick, and I hadn't been able to locate it for the last few years:


Love it!!  Turn your back on crack!!  I will be keeping this card, and putting it somewhere that I won't 'lose' it again.

Then I also found some older non-sports cards that I just don't want.  Don't get me wrong, I love almost anything that is old.  Old coins, stamps, magazines and even small newspaper like things from the early 1800s are all in my collection.

But in the interests of streamlining the 'old non-sports' section of my collection, I am offering these up, one per commenter at first, for free in a PWE.  They are all what we consider these days to be mini sized.


The fronts:

The backs:


And the descriptions:

1932 De Reszke Real Photographs 4th Series, # 19,
1932 De Reszke Real Photographs 4th Series, #23, 
1932 De Reszke Real Photographs 4th Series, #24
1938 Gallaher Garden Flowers - Tobacco [Base] #44
1938 Gallaher British Birds - Tobacco [Base] #6
1938 Gallaher Army Badges - Tobacco [Base] #13
1925 Franklyn Davey - Hunting # 12
1939 John Player & Sons - Animals Of The Countryside #28
1938 John Player & Sons - Aircraft of the Royal Air Force #18
1914-1918 John Player & Sons - Army Corps and Divisional Signs #33
1933 John Player & Sons - Derby and Grand National Winners #45


So anyone want some 85-105 year old non-sports cards?  If so, comment on which one you want (shoot me your address!) and I will send it out.  If they are not all gone by Monday, you can claim another one on Monday, another the next day and so on until they are gone.


Thanks for reading!

22 comments:

  1. I would like the 1939 Player and Sons aircraft of the RAF. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang!! Love it! I will take the 1914-1918 John Player & Sons - Army Corps and Divisional Signs #33

      Would be happy with any really! But this will mark the oldest non sport PC card I have.

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. First of all, I am sorry to hear about you and going through your divorce. I went through a divorce a little over five years ago, and it took quite a toll on me and my mental health. I am happy to say that I am in a much better place now. I will say some prayers for you.

    As for the cards, thank you for the little giveaway. I would be interested in the one with the field mouse on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with everything in your personal life. Hope all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the divorce. May the next chapter of your life be filled with peace and happiness. I don't collect this kind of stuff, but the cat in the suitcase made me laugh, so I'll request it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll request the 1933 John Player & Sons - Derby and Grand National Winners #45, please.

    Please email me at dominic.jimenez.48.71@gmail.com for the address. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the divorce. I will pray for you and your family.

    I'll request the 1938 Gallagher Army Badges #13. Thanks!

    damienfantasy@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll also take the 1932 De Reszke Real Photographs #19 with the donkey on it. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. If it's still available, I'd also be interested in the 1925 Hunting card.

      Thanks for the giveaway. I'm just really interested in this kind of stuff.

      Delete
    3. Anything else you want to get rid of I'd be happy to take off your hands.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about the divorce - the financial part of it definitely sounds messy but hope it works out in the end. As a child of divorce myself, I can say that the most you & your ex can do is simply be there for your children whenever you can. Having my parents around for me when they divorced, despite their own issues, really meant a lot to me at the time and still does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not one for words in tough situations which is why it was hard for me to find them when I commented and emailed you yesterday, but you are in my prayers.

    I see the cat one is gone but would be interested in the dog one if that's still available. The
    1932 De Reszke Real Photographs 4th Series, #23,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about the deleted comment. I accidentally published the same one twice. I would also appreciate the 1938 Gallaher bird card. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ginko, shoot me your mailing address. You can find my email in my profile in the About Me section.

      Delete
    2. I hate to be a bother, but for some reason, when I click on the email on my computer it doesn't do anything. I don't know why it didn't work, but I can't reach you.

      Delete
    3. No worries! Go to the email link, and right click on it and choose "Copy Email". Then use that email in your regular email program or email website.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the help. Think I got it to work.

      Delete
  10. A. Very sorry to hear about the divorce. Hopefully things will get better sooner than later as you transition into the next chapter of your life.

    B. That Bo is awesome! I love Broders. It's funny, because I didn't like them back in the 90's... but these days I appreciate their part in our hobby history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be interested in another. Whatever one is fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I was thinking that you had been away because of ill health, and I guess compared to that, this isn't as bad, but still royally sucks nonetheless. I do think that it's pretty great though that you and your wife were able to stick it out the last couple of years for the kids sake. It seems like a lot of the other people in your situation don't, or won't, ever do that. Says a lot about your character, and that of your wife's too. You being the awesome person that you are, I'm sure that things will turn around at some point, and hopefully for your sake that'll be sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the road ahead. Hope your apartment has lots of room for cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to read about the divorce. Hope things are getting better for you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete