Friday, March 29, 2024

Show stuff - prices out of whack?

Recent card show finds...


This was a in a 50 cent box.  Maybe it's not even worth that.  But I had a moment where I just thought it would be fun to own a graded Nolan Ryan!

Some more...

These 4 were in quarter boxes (top 2) and 50 cent boxes (bottom 2).  Wonderful deals, especially with that Ichiro being numbered /46.  Cards of pitchers hitting have become a lot more common lately, but that Koufax is a gem to me.  Maybe I need a refractor of that...

When I was looking that Koufax up, I found this 'card'.  I didn't know these existed, but I really like that one!!

If anyone wants to send me this Koufax, or the Hank Aaron, Mark McGwire or any other nice looking card from this 'oversized' parallel set, go for it!

The Papa Vlad card above got me thinking about how I now have more Vlad Jr cards in my collection than Vlad Sr.  Possible post about that in the future.  But it also got me thinking about how out of whack the hobby pricing can be.  That Vlad above is numbered /10000, which is high today, but those are hard to find now.  I got it for 50 cents.  On COMC.com, there are 8 of them, starting at $2.64.  And I grabbed a Vlad Jr. card that really doesn't do much for me for comparison:



Now, this is the current market, but in my tiny, old man mind, there is no way in the world that these two cards should be similar prices.  I'd sure love to find trading partners who would trade me for my extra Vlad Jrs, and give me sweet stuff like that Rooke Diamond Kings card in return!




9 comments:

  1. I have started collecting Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Next to Francisco Lindor, is my top current player collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great purchases! No way I could pass that Nolan Ryan up for 50¢. Worst case scenario, you can use it as a coaster for cool beverages on hot sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ichiro card numbered out of 40 for a quarter? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voting for Koufax.

    The industry does seem to be 'what have you done for me lately' more than it used to be. Other than the top tier super stars of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot Donruss did those Rookie Diamond Kings. Right in the middle of the serial numbered card craze!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always a little shocked that Vlad Sr. cards aren't more expensive than they are - not that I'm complaining, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing cards of pitchers hitting.

    ReplyDelete