Monday, April 1, 2024

Serial Contest

 Over the years, I accumulate.  Just stuff.  I'll be going through some cheap box at a show and come across a card and think "someone will want that", so I pick it up.  Unfortunately, I never get around to setting up trades the way that trades are done these days.  I hear TCDB is great for trades, but so far, I have been too lazy to enter all my cards.  I could scan and post trade bait, but in the past, that hasn't worked well either.  I hear X or Facebook can be good places for selling, but I am not really wanting to sell.  

So I keep ending up with stacks of cards that I wish I could trade off.  I have probably said it before, but what I really want is to go back to grade school days, where a buddy would bring his box of cards, and I would bring mine and we would go through the boxes and hammer out a trade.  Sadly, in person trades are mostly a thing of the past.

Anyway, one stack of stuff that I have accumulated is going up for grabs today!  Not as trade bait, but as a giveaway!  It is a real hodgepodge of serial numbered cards.  Probably wouldn't be interesting to team collectors or player collectors.  I am betting that every team in MLB in in here somewhere.  But if you are an omnivore collector like me, or want a quick way to accumulate trade bait, or just like serial numbered cards, this may be for you!

There are 140 cards in the lot.  If you want it, what you need to do is guess the total sum of the serial numbers.  So if there were three cards in the lot, one #/100, one #/ 999 and one #/125, the sum would be 100+1999+25 = 2124.  Obviously, with 140 cards, the number you will be guessing will be much higher!

Here is a pic to help you with your guessing...

The COMC.com value of this lot would be very high.... the real value is much lower of course.

The highest serial number is #/2025 and the lowest is #/5.  OK, that's all the hints, feel free to make your guess in the comments!  And I am going to go old school, so if you pimp the contest on your blog, you can have an extra guess, just put the link to the post in the comments with your second guess.

Guessing will close on Thursday, April 4th at 5PM Pacific time!

29 comments:

  1. this is going to be a super high number. My first guess will be: 157,025. LOL

    I'll get the pimp out right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/993078840300717263/803241423771806755 the pinp. 2nd guess: 200,000

      Delete
  2. What an interesting idea for a contest. I have no clue, so 75,301

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also pull this kind of stuff out of discount boxes & have built up a similar trove of cards that I haven't been able to find a great home for as of yet.

    I do love this idea for a contest though, and I'll guess 45,219 - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll guess 54,191. Good idea for a contest and I saw the link overbat Johnny's blog, so if I win, any Braves have to be his commission!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the cool contest! My guess is 36,241.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll try 49,000.

    I agree--I'd LOVE to take my box of duplicates, mostly dime-box fodder, and sit down with another collector and just trade some in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in on this. Really good idea by the way. I'm going with 89,850.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun contest...my guess is 120,276

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool contest. Literally have no idea what to guess! I'll go with 66,555.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great contest. I'll guess 142,000.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's go 94,780. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 91,191 Cool contest. How long did it take you to count up all the serial numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Actually, I'll amend that to 58,958. Thanks for the contest!

      Delete
    2. I'm so wishy-washy... 54,774.
      Actually - does this count as multiple guesses? I only mean my last one to stand - and this is really and finally my last one - but - if it counts as multiple guesses, I guess never mind.

      Delete
  14. Well, I have no idea whatsoever, so I'll take the average of your numbers and guess 142,100. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to the post in which I promoted your contest: https://doncardwelllovesthisblog.blogspot.com/2024/04/keep-it-going.html

      And I'll tone down the second guess and predict 84,394. Thanks again!

      Delete
  15. https://toppscardsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2024/04/2-sets-with-1-envelope.html?m=1
    Just posted about the contest.
    Second guess is 110,000

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pimped the contest: https://diamond-jesters.blogspot.com/2024/04/repack-haiku-352-lars-nootbaar.html. My two guesses are 42,000 and 56,000.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll go with 76,716. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice contest! I'll go with 98,765

    ReplyDelete