Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Unusual pickups

I am still trying to get back into the swing of things.  Getting my cards unpacked after my recent move has been really slow.  The move didn't keep me from hitting a couple of card shows while all packed up though.  The shows haven't been great lately.  But still worth going to.  As usual, I stay in the cheap boxes mostly.  Here are a few unusual pickups I have made lately.

I finally completed my "Yastrzemski Generations" mini-collection.  Actually, I didn't know that there was such a thing to collect.  I think everyone knows that Carl, AKA 'Yaz' has a grandson currently playing for the Giants.  What I had forgotten, or maybe never knew at all, is that Yaz's son also played pro ball, though never in the majors.  He does, however, have 7 different minor league cards.  Here's mine:


All in the family...


Next, I got my first ever 1971 Topps Supers.  If you haven't seen these, they are over 5 inches tall, and are pretty thick, almost like a jersey card.  Mine are nobodies, Mays and Aaron are probably the big cards in this set.

Here are the backs, true to the 1971 Topps set.

 
And last but not least, I grabbed a bunch of older cards (1958-1967) in a quarter bin.  They were mostly in good condition, but commons.  The exception on condition was this:

A Jim Palmer rookie for a quarter!!!  Heck of a crease, but that's the kind of quarter but I will take all day.



8 comments:

  1. Palmer rookie for a quarter?! That's one helluva find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the Palmer.

    Peterson traded wives and children with teammate Mike Kekich in 1973.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with the crease, the Palmer rookie was a steal.
    I've never seen the '71 Topps Supers before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza! Nice find on the Palmer... and congratulations on completing the Yaz all in the family collection. I didn't even realize Mike's father played professional baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crease or not, that's a great find for a quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me quite a while to unpack all of my cards after moving to TN, and looking back, I think I only had 3-4 moving boxes worth at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter the condition, I'm taking a Palmer rookie for a quarter any day. Congrats on completing the Yastrzemski family tree as well.

    I wouldn't call Fritz Peterson a nobody - he was the best control pitcher of his generation and a 20-game winner in 1970.

    ReplyDelete