Thursday, January 6, 2022

Dime show

 Here's a few highlights from the most recent show I was able to attend.  Other than a couple of exceptions noted below, I ONLY spent money at dime boxes this time.  I think I brought around 130 cards home, but I will only show a few here.

2019 Panini Donruss - Independence Day Yadier Molina - Parallel Yadi's always make it for me.
2020 Topps Archives - Nickname Poster Pete Alonso - Probably only worth a dime, but it's a cool looking card.
1986 Donruss 'The Rookies' Bip Roberts - Bip!
2020 Topps Chrome Update Pink Wave Refractor David Ortiz - All Star cards are kind of gimmicky in Update.  Crazy refractor parallels are kind of gimmicky.  Regardless, I really like this card!
2020 Topps Chrome Update Pink Wave Refractor Bryce Harper - More gimmicky.
2021 Panini Donruss - Holo Orange Rod Carew - I think 2021 Donruss is a horribly plain and uninteresting set.  That said, a parallel of one of my all time faves, is a keeper!
2019 Panini Diamond Kings - 2004 DK Retro - Clayton Kershaw - Loved this set in its original incarnation. 
Jim Thome's - 2021 Panini Donruss - Liberty and Holo Red - The Thomenator in parallel.  Don't see many of those 'Liberty' parallels.  I prefer to call him Popeye, rather than Thomentator.

2009 O-Pee-Chee Black Border Joey Votto - This one seems kind of hard to find, so I am glad I grabbed it!
1986 Donruss 'The Rookies' Andres Galarraga - Big Cat XRC from the old days...
2019 Topps Gallery - Masterpiece Willie Mays - A decent parallel of a nice looking card of an all time great
1993 Topps Finest Jose Canseco - I want all the 1993 Finest.  Send them to me, please.
2020 Topps Holiday - Juan Soto (Candy Cane Bat Variation) - Probably my favorite of these cards.  I really like Soto, and the holiday parallels are a lot of fun.
2019 Bowman Platinum - Ice Refractor Joey Votto - Sparkly!
2020 Topps Update Series - Walmart Royal Blue Albert Pujols - Any parallel of Pujols is a parallel of mine.
1987 Topps - Box Bottom Steve Carlton - I don't even remember these mini box bottom cards.  Alzheimer's?  They are definitely cool for a dime!
1987 Topps - Box Bottom Rickey Henderson - Another dime well spent.

Here are the items that I paid more than a dime for:

$1
$1
$1
$1
$1

Nice old SI's for a buck each. Some all time great athletes on the covers!

Thanks for reading.



6 comments:

  1. The candy cane Soto from the cards and hippy Walton from the covers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid dime box. I'd buy any Willie Mays cards for a dime. And even though I don't have the space for more magazines... I'd would have grabbed all of those SI's too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have that Jordan SI magazine when I had a subscription. Probably like 30 years old which is damn scary.

    I like '80s box bottoms because there's still some I've never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, in 1987, Carlton was depicted with the White Sox in the Topps base set, the Giants on that box bottom card, and the Indians in the Topps Traded set! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sports Illustrated is not a magazine that I've ever enjoyed reading. That being said, I still would've bought all of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can always get behind a good dime box dig, especially one that includes a couple box bottoms! That Carlton is an awful airbrushing job, but an excellent Short Term Stop.

    ReplyDelete