Friday, June 23, 2023

Parallels should look different

 I got the old man disease.  You know, the one where everything new is dumb?  Yeah, I kind of have that.  Too many sets, too many inserts, too many parallels.  Too many graded cards, too many new fanboy collectors etc.  As if the hobby could really change back to the way it was in my youth.

However, sometimes, I think some of my complaints are actually pretty legit, not just my age showing.  My current example and topic of this post is this card of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. 

Looks like one of the common, standard 2021 Topps Update - All Star Game inserts.  But it's not.  First complaint is that these "All Star Game" cards are inserts, not part of the base set, but they have the exact same design as the base set.  Minor complaint, but still!  But the bigger complaint is this:  the card shown is actually the "Platinum Anniversary" parallel of the base insert.  It's numbered /70!  But you can't see anything in the appearance of the front of the card that would tip you off to that (or at least I can't).  Unfortunately, I don't have the base insert to compare side by side, but looking around on the interwebs, I just can't see a real, meaningful difference between this fairly low numbered parallel and the base.

Parallels should look different!!  And the old man rant concludes.

Hopefully that doesn't bother any of you, and you would like to have this card.  Because this situation bothers me enough that I am going to PWE it out to someone for free.  If you want the card, guess the serial number (any number between 1 and 70) in the comments.  You can guess once per day if nobody gets it right off.  The first person to get it right will receive it in the mail.  If I already have the winners address, I won't even announce who won, the card will just show up.  If I have to ask, then there won't be a surprise.  I'll update once a day if the number has been correctly guessed.

Let's see how it goes!!


30 comments:

  1. 100% agree. I believe any variance for base or inserts should be absolutely identifiable on the FRONT. Even then, I hate them. I think a different card should have a different image period as well as a completely different design! With that said I guess 34/70

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reached that stage of too many parallels when Topps did different colored buyback stamps... I'll guess #42

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten to the point where I ignore parallels unless it really appeals to me or it's a player I am super focused on. All the people going for rainbows, man, Topps has you on a string! ... I guess 62.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the only difference is yours looks like it might not have that gray honeycombish area on the left and right middle area of the sides and one I found online does. I get what you mean. I had a Tanner Houck Silver Bowman parallel numbered to 50 or something like that for years and never knew it until I finally looked at the back and saw a serial number. The front had a small silver area that really wasn’t distinguishable from a background or anything on the base version. I’d take a different color logo or shape, maybe like how many ‘90’s parallels would label theirs.
    My guess is 55. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, there have been some sweet parallels over the years, but plenty of duds. Definitely overdone these days, but that's just companies trying to ratchet up the manufactured scarcity. I'll guess #24, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, it's difficult for dealers and buyers alike when you can't look at a card and know what it is. I would also implore Topps to identify ALL parallels with a word by the number the way they do with refractors (although even there it doesn't tell you which of various refractors it is).

    For some reason 7/70 is calling me, so that's my guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. Can't think of any insert sets that use the same design as the base set outside of mascots... but they're mascots. Not a fan of making an insert set of players have the same design as the base set. Isn't that what subsets are for?

    B. I feel the same way about parallels. I sometimes wonder if I've ever donated one of those Topps Advanced Stats parallels away. In fact... the handful I own were donated to my collection by collectors who took the time to lmk they were special parallels.

    C. I really like Vladimir. Lucked out... and watched the last few innings of last night's game versus Oakland. I'll go with #68 in honor of my beloved Athletics... and their arrival in Oakland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the guesses, nobody got it yet. Keep guessing, 1 guess per day

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite is parallels of parallels! I'll guess 32

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a new day and I'm sitting in my car waiting for nothing to happen. So my next guess is 12 please. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vladdy went 2 for 5 yesterday so I'll guess 25!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a trick question, isn't it? Let's go with Vladdy's uniform number, 27.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still no winner, keep guessing. One guess per day. I will say that the closest guess so far is 6 away from the correct number. And the correct number is odd.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree! If there's a variation, you have be able to see something on the front of the card! I will guess 61, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least one more day, still no winner. The number you are looking for is in the top half of the range (35-70)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Derek beat me to it so I'll just throw 47 out there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it's more likely that you haven't gotten to it, but just in case you've made a math error I'll add a guess of 35 :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. 51? I figured it was guessed by now haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. 65 is my guess for today. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey you two dedicated guessers (Derek and Jafronius)! I apologize, I was taken away to a limited connectivity work trip and never got back to this. Rest assured that one of you have guessed the correct number, and will hopefully get the card soon. And for your trouble, the one of you who didn't get it right will also get a serial numbered card Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woo! Persistence pays off Derek! Congrats sir and thank you for your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I commend my partner in persistence. That is some great generosity, totally not required!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got my card, thanks for your generosity! 49 was the correct answer

    ReplyDelete