Saturday, May 26, 2012

Featured Diamond Kings set of the month - March

Welcome to yet another series inspired by my blog goals for this year!  Every month, I will feature a Diamond Kings set in depth.  Gotta stay true to my roots!

OK, I know its not even close to March (see title if that confuses you).  Consider this catch up(with more to come)!  In February, I went with a small but sweet insert set from 2003.  This month I am going back to full sets.  Real full sets!  Originally, Diamond Kings lived in the base set as a loved subset.  But once Donruss made their comeback in the early 2000's, they decided to make Diamond Kings a complete, stand alone set.  The 2004 set is the third in that new tradition and my favorite of the stand alone Diamond Kings sets!

The base set from 2004 Diamond Kings is numbered 1-150.  There are also 25 SP's numbered 151-175. Here is a page of the base set:


The player pics are somewhat small, but are well done.  The borders are pretty unique for baseball cards and are one of the main reasons I like this set so much.  They is beautiful!

Here is a page of the SP's.  These 9 are titled 'Legends', but there are also some titled 'Flashbacks'.


Notice the Brett, Maris and Snider are not in color.  As an added twist, Donruss issued the SP's in both color and 'Sepia' versions.  The color are the main release, while the sepia are the parallel.

My set is complete 1-175, but I didn't know about the sepia variations when I built it.  So I have both color and sepia in my set.  I'd really like to get bot versions of each card.  Here is what I still need:

151 Clemens Sepia
152 Grace Sepia
154 Arod Sepia
155 Palmeiro
156 Maddux Sepia
157 Piazza Sepia
158 Mussina
160 Ripken Sepia
162 Marion Sepia
163 Mattingly Sepia
164 Yount Sepia
165 Dawson Sepia
167 Brett
168 Ford Sepia
169 Campanella Sepia
170 Maris
171 Snider
173 Musial Sepia
174 Ryan Sepia
175 Sanders

If you have any of those, let me know and we can trade!

Previous months:
January
February

No comments:

Post a Comment