Saturday, June 2, 2012

Featured Diamond Kings set of the month - April

Welcome to yet another in a series inspired by my blog goals for this year!  Every month, I will feature a Diamond Kings set in depth.  Gotta stay true to my roots!

OK, I know its not even close to April(see title if that confuses you).  Consider this catch up(with more to come)!  In March, I went with the 2004 Diamond Kings full set.  This month I am going back to the old school insert sets.  In fact, these are the first DK cards to be released as inserts rather than a part of the base set!  I give you... The 1992 Diamond Kings!

My faves on this page: Clark (looks like a playground badass), Franco (great batting stance), Thomas (pure and clean, classic Thomas)  The Bell is awesome too. 
In addition to taking them out of the base set, Donruss decided to enhance the Diamond kings line a bit.  These are the first DK's to be glossy rather than regular finish, a trend that would continue, more or less, for the rest of the Diamond Kings run.  I apologize for cutting off a few of these, but my scanner isn't quite big enough for a full sheet.
My faves on this page:Bagwell (good color, young and innocent), Kruk (just how I remember him), Gooden (oh my, Doc was such a beast!  And this card shows his intimidating side)
Donruss also added silver foil around the DK logo and the player name.  Foil was so huge back in the day!
My faves on this page:Langston (nice action shot), Johnson (nice portrait), Martinez (underrated, plus I love Expos uni's)
The checklist features an 'at work' shot of DK overlord Dick Perez.  Nice touch.

Overall, this new format (inserts and oh so fancy) was a hit.  So much in fact, that Donruss used the almost exact same format the next year.  Even now, I have to look on the back to tell if a card is a 92 or 93 Diamond King.

Previous months:
January
February
March

No comments:

Post a Comment