Thursday, March 15, 2012

Featured Diamond Kings set of the month - February

Welcome to yet another series inspired by my blog goals for the year!  Every month, I will feature a Diamond Kings set in depth.  Gotta stay true to my roots!

OK, I know its not February anymore, but I had a rough end to last month.  Consider this catch up!  In January, I went old skool and featured the Original 1982 Diamond Kings set.  This time I decided to go the new skool route (relatively) and look at one of the subsets from 2003 Diamond Kings.  The 2003 Diamond Kings set was very different from the original inserts.  First off, it was a complete release, not a subset of the Donruss set.  200 beautiful cards!  Take a look at an example...

Aint it purdy? (oops, this is a framed parallel, but you get the idea)

But this is not the set I'm highlighting.  For that, let's look at the 2003 Diamond Kings Team Timelines insert set.

There are 10 cards in the set and each is serialed out of 1000.  They also came in dual jersey versions serialed out of 100.  The cards themselves are all differently colored, but share the basic design with swirly decoration near each player depiction in an attempt to create a classy look.  The players themselves are in the upper left and lower right of the card, drawn in standard Diamond Kings style.  Here are a few examples.
Most of the cards look great.  Mike Sweeney(below) and a few others might seem odd picks now, but at the time, they made sense.    The one I really don't like is the George Brett.  His head looks too long and his nose looks crunched.  Not a big deal, but every time I look at the card, I notice it.  It's just not George to me.
Here are the rest of the cards in the set!

I got this complete set on Ebay for a steal a couple of years ago.  Its one of my favorite little Diamond Kings sets!

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff--those more recent Diamond King sets were excellent and really made for some nice inserts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, but only 10 cards with 2 being Yankees? Ah, modern collecting with the haves and the have-nots.

    ReplyDelete