Thursday, September 14, 2023

Koufax

 Hey!  Taking a one day break from the card show scan posts, they will resume tomorrow.  Though today's post isn't that different really.  It's a 2 scan post of a card I got out of a cheapie bin at a card show.  I guess the only real difference is a bit more rambling from me.

Even though I dislike that only parallels and inserts are really 'worth' much, and serial numbered versions even more, the sheer number of variations sometimes benefits me.  What I mean is that sometimes there are rarer versions of a card that slip through the cracks and make it into cheapie boxes.

This is one of those posts.

I found this cool Koufax, and snapped it up as quickly as I could, before moving on through the rest of the box.

When I got it home, I realized that it is one of those pesky serial numbered cards that don't look too different from the base.  It turns out that it is an Orange Refractor from 2020 Topps Stadium Club Chrome.

Since it looks pretty blue to me, and not at all orange, I was confused until I noticed the orange backing to the logo in the upper right.  I guess that's it!

And the numbering that goes along with that on the back:

Yay!  /25!!  There aren't any of these on COMC, but there is a gold version, numbered /50.  That one has a price of $57.98.  Which is ridiculous, but still gives me happy thoughts when I think of this version of the card in my hands.

Honestly, the big Dodger fans out there probably would appreciate this card more than me, but I definitely like it!  Cheapie box wins....

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, there's something artificial about having all these parallels out there...but when I can find a good deal on a parallel of a legend, or pull one from a pack, I'll take it every time. Let alone one numbered to 25!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange parallels in Stadium Club used to be very cool (about 6 or 7 years ago). Now they're pretty pointless and definitely not worth 50 bucks each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking card! A big win in a bargain box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Number to 25 in a cheapie box? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serial numbered or not... this is a very attractive Koufax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta be a mistake on the dealer's end to have that in the discount box. His loss is your gain!

    ReplyDelete