Sunday, May 31, 2020

Inconsequential Question

** I swear I posted about this many years ago, but I have looked back in my old posts and can't find it.  So if this feels familiar to anyone, please forgive me!



Time to try and answer a question that doesn't really need answering.

I was reading one of grcl's posts about his collection of autos and relics from Hall of Famers.  It's a pretty impressive collection, you should take a look like I did.

Anyway, I got down to his Hank Aaron Auto and it triggered something in my head.  Here is the card in his collection:

It's a nice, on-card autograph (as all of his Autos are).  It's clean, neat and numbered. It is from 2004 topps originals.  So I took a look in my keepers box, right up front, since my keepers boxes are ordered by player, alphabetically.  And just as I remembered, I have this card:


Some coincidence, huh?  But mine isn't from 2004 topps originals.  It isn't numbered or certified.  And looking at the autograph, it doesn't quite look the same.  Of course, autographs are not all exactly the same, unless you use an autopen, but I find myself feeling skeptical that my copy is a real Aaron auto.

Not that it really matters to me all that much.  There are plenty of fake auto's out there, potentially even some of the certified ones.  A ghost signer, forgeries etc.

But I still find myself curious, and wondered if any of you loyal readers wanted to weigh in an opinion?  I went out and looked at google images for Aaron Autos and there are definitely some variations in his signatures.

So give me your opinions, but since I get enjoyment from the card either way, I guess the question doesn't really need a definitive answer.

10 comments:

  1. The main difference I see is the space between the names on the official one. So it might be a leisurely pace vs rushed, instead of real vs fake. But I'm no expert, so I'll cede the floor to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree. Looking through Aaron autos online, there's some variation, and it looks somewhat consistent with some of the examples such as: https://images.app.goo.gl/ri9qc9nUQfh2QTEFA

      Now, if it had a Hack Wilson auto on it, THAT would be a fake!

      Delete
  2. How did you get it? I remember 10 or 11 years ago there was a spurt when people were getting ttms back from him but the consensus was that they all were fake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea!! I might be edging into dementia. It would have been at a card show around 8-10 years ago, so that timeframe fits. Seems like a fake might have a little more effort put into it though.

      Delete
  3. I have an autographed photo of Aaron. I have no idea if it's real even with a so-called letter of authentication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that just makes it all the more inconsequential that this question gets answered I guess.

      Delete
  4. I have two Aaron autographs. One is certified by Topps. The other Kellogg's. Neither look exactly alike. And neither look like yours or Jim's. You can see for yourself:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2018/01/dream-fulfilled.html

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2015/10/kelloggs-is-more-than-cereal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy. I am starting to think Hank doesn't have a consistent signature.

      Delete
  5. Hey thanks for the plug! I think it could be legit as variations occur when people sign for a variety of reasons. I once bought a few signed cards from the same tommy john signing session, and the one he signed at the end for the seller looks nothing like the one he signed at the beginning for me personally.

    ReplyDelete